One of the beautiful, amazing, historical fort.
The fort is located in the Naxalite area and many anti-social elements have made it their home, so the fort is restricted for the tourists. They are allowed to visit the fort during the daytime and in large groups.
It takes around two hours from sasaram to reach the foot of the hill over which is the Rohtas fort. It can be reached easily from the Dehri town, which has very good road network.
According to the local legends, the Rohtas hill was named after the Rohitasva, son of King Harishchandra.
The oldest historical record found on the fort is an inscription which is ascribed to the 7th century, thereby implying the existence of the rule of Sasanka in the 7th century over Rohtas.
The fort is situated at about 1500 feet above sea level.
The main gate is known as the Hathiya Pol or the Elephant Gate, named after the number of figures of the elephants, which decorate it. It is the largest of the gates and was made in 1597 AD.
The 2000 odd limestone steps were probably meant for elephants.
For the visitor, they are exhausting climb of an hour and a half. At the end of the climb, one reaches the boundary wall of the fort.
A dilapidated gate with a cupola can be seen there, which is the first of many gates provided for well-guarded entrances to the fort. From here one has to walk another mile or so before the ruins of Rohtas can be seen.
The Rohtas garh fort is located at the bank of the son river in Rohtas village, Bihar.
The steps directing to the fort are cut into limestone of the hill.
In the past, many streams crossed the plateau and the soil was productive, which helped in easy growth of the crops, so that the inhabitants of the fort could hold out for months against any enemy besieging the fort.
Thick forests and wild animals surrounded the hill providing natural barriers and dacoits provided other man-made barriers in the past. Thus, the fort which was believed to be invincible, could not be taken by force but only by means of deceit.
There are many structures that the tourists can see during their visit to the fort. These structures include gates, temples, mosques palaces and many others.
Inside the fort there are total two temples.
One of the Maa Tara Chandi Devi Mata temple is also a ruined temple and the deity inside the temple is missing & another one is Chaurasan temple also called Rohtasan temple of Lord Shiva.
Rohtasan temple and Maa Tara Chandi Devi Mata temple are located in the northeast direction.
In local language it is also said “Chourasan Siddhi” because of its 84 steps.
Iconoclasts probably destroyed the roof and the main mandap, which housed the sacred lingam. Now only 84 steps are left, which lead to a temple.
There is a structure to the west of Ganesh Temple which locals call hanging house.
The stricture is located at a place where there is a trench of 1500 feet. There is a legend which says that there was a fakir who was thrown down three times with his hands and legs tied but nothing happened to him so he was buried alive here.
In the middle of the fort, there is a Aina Mahal which is located was built by Raja Man Singh. The palace has four storeys having a cupola on the top. Assembly hall was built on the second floor. Third floor has women quarters and tourists can enter there through a tiny cupola. First floor has the residential quarters of Man Singh and there is a gate called Baradari which connects it to ladies rooms.
There is also a Jama Masjid and Habsh Khan Mausoleum are beautiful structures which were made through stucco style. The architecture of the buildings is of Rajputana style as there are cupolas on the pillars.
You can see the amazing view from here. There are too much space for soldiers to stay together at a time.
It is one of the largest fort in world. It is spread in 42Sqkm.
It has 83 gates and network of many underground place and tunnels.
At the end of the climb, one reaches the boundary wall of the fort.
A lovely waterfall is seen during the rains, which falls over the fortifications, and is mesmerizing to watch and hear from a distance.
A dilapidated gate with a cupola can be seen, which is first of several provided for well-guarded entrances to the fort.
The Hindu kings who succeeded Khayaravala dynasty built a road to the fort and built four gates on four ghats.
One gate can be seen at Raja ghat and one can be seen at Kathauthiya ghat. Other inscriptions state that the fort belonged to Sher Shah Suri.
Sher Shah Suri captured the fort in 1539 and he did so because he lost Chunar fort during a war with Humayun.
Sher Shah told Raja Hari Krishan Rai, the ruler of Rohtas, that he wanted to keep his treasure and women in the fort’s safety.
He brought his women and children in palanquins but later on the palanquins that arrived have Afghan soldiers inside who captured the fort.
From here one has to walk another mile or so before the ruins of Rohtas can be seen.
To know more about this place, Watch this video